Before hiring a domestic criminal lawyer in Kitchener and Waterloo what do you need to be aware of? Here are ten important factors to take into consideration before hiring a domestic criminal lawyer.
1) Find a criminal law firm with experience. The basic rule of thumb is to not only find a criminal law firm with experience but a firm that can properly address the situation you are in. For instance, if you face a domestic violence charge it would be wise to consult with domestic criminal lawyers who are seasoned in that field of law. One way to uncover a law firm’s experience is to simply ask questions during the consultation stage. For example, how many years of experience do you have in this particular law discipline? How many trials have you won? By asking questions you can better focus on your needs and find a domestic criminal lawyer that suits your particular situation.
2) Review testimonials from previous clients. By reading previous client’s experiences with the law firm of interest it will form a well-rounded sphere of knowledge to evaluate the competence of the law firm as a whole and even specific lawyers who are addressed in the testimonials.
3) Research domestic criminal lawyer ratings on certain databases. For instance, each city typically has a database website that will categorize and evaluate lawyers based on their success in trial and other aspects. Searching for databases in Kitchener and Waterloo that rank lawyer’s competence can be an effective strategy in finding a suitable domestic criminal lawyer.
4) Discover a law firm with situational experience. For example, if you reside in Kitchener and Waterloo it would be wise to contact domestic criminal lawyers who have direct experience in Kitchener and Waterloo courts where your specific case is pending (close connections with judges and other lawyers is advantageous to your case).
5) Are you hiring a lawyer or a team of lawyers? Depending on the case at hand and the financial resources available it may be a smart move to hire multiple lawyers within the same firm to ensure a strong defense.
6) Gauge the first impression during the consultation stage. Do you feel comfortable hiring this domestic criminal lawyer? Does the lawyer seem genuinely concerned over your case or are they in a rush to see another client? Typically, the first impression is the tip of the ice berg, therefore look for key details of interest and genuine concern over your situation to ensure a quality and well prepared defense.
7) Communication channels are key. How can you contact your domestic criminal defense lawyer? Are they available 24/7 or only from 9-5? Hiring a lawyer who is available anytime of the day ensures your case is a priority and if any issues arise such as an arrest you can immediately contact your lawyer to represent you in the police station or government office.
8) Be prepared to provide your personal version of the situation. In order for a strong defense the domestic criminal lawyer must be aware of the entirety of the case at hand. It is highly recommended that you are comfortable talking with your lawyer about potentially emotional or stressful experiences. This means it is crucial you find a lawyer who you are comfortable talking with.
9) Do not expect a guarantee. A domestic criminal lawyer cannot provide a guaranteed result of the case because there are too many factors to take into consideration. However, a predictable outcome may suffice if the case is predictable.
10) Evaluate prices and understand the fee system at the specific law firm. Unfortunately, some law firms may under-quote you and then raise this quote once you hire the firm. By understanding the fee schedules set in place you can be confident that you become aware if a law firm is abusing their fee system. Overall, by following these ten steps in hiring a domestic criminal lawyer in Kitchener and Waterloo you can be confident in choosing a lawyer to meet your needs.